What is a corporate screensaver? Does your company need one, or is it just one of those trends that will fade in the passage of time? Will it bring real value to your business? Read on to find out more.
Screensavers are images or animations that flash on your computer monitor after you leave it idle for a few minutes. Screensavers were invented to save CRT (cathode ray tube) monitors from “image burn-in,” which happens when any image is displayed on the screen for a long time. This is why you would see old computer monitors with ghost images like the Windows taskbar even when the monitors were turned off.
CRT monitors were phased out with the coming of LCD screens – since LCD monitors do not have phosphors to burn like in CRT monitors, the screensavers of today do not really save your monitor screen. In fact, using screensavers just waste electricity and battery power; it is just something that people do out of habit.
The Corporate Screensaver
Screensavers might have lost their original purpose, but they are now used for a variety of other applications: for security purposes, to display information about the system status and even for entertainment. But perhaps the screensaver’s most useful application is that of a communication tool, especially within an organization.
To answer the question we posted earlier, yes. You need a corporate screensaver for your business, and here are ten good reasons why:
1. Fewer emails, more information. Screensavers allow you to disseminate information immediately throughout the organization without too much dependence on emails, which – more often than not – tend to be too cluttered and intrusive.
2. More dynamic messages. The more catchy the message is, the better it will be received by your staff. Customize your messages with images, videos and even flash animation and see an improvement in the spread of important information.
3. Quick and efficient internal communication. Do you need to remind everyone about the town hall meeting or the deadlines a certain team has to make? The corporate screensaver allows you to effectively inform your staff right where they spend a big chunk of their time in the office: in front of their computers.
4. Better recall of information. Screensavers are repetitive, so the more your employees see them, the more they are reminded of the important information they need to know.
5. No more idle computers. In some companies, especially in the BPO setting, hundreds (sometimes even thousands) of computers are idle at some point during certain periods of the day. Put these idle computers to use by broadcasting messages on screensavers.
6. Speedy and easy deployment. Screensavers are very easy to use, deploy and update, making them a convenient and valuable tool for internal communication.
7. An updated workforce. If you are looking for a better way to make your staff better updated with company news, new policies and other announcements, then the screensaver is your best bet. Display messages on the screensaver and never again wonder whether or not the information has been received.
8. Direct messages to target audience. Need to notify a certain department about changes and other information? Use screensavers to broadcast messages intended for a specific audience. You can also do the same for individuals, custom groups, or even teams from different locations.
9. Cost-effective. Running screensavers does not require any special software; therefore you can easily integrate the use of screensavers to spread information in your existing infrastructure.
10. Effective mass notification tool. Quickly alert everyone in your company about urgent news that pop up on the computer screens. This is very important most especially during times of disasters and critical periods.
Keep all your staff in the know about what truly matters in your organization; by deploying corporate screensavers, you can make sure that your messages and alerts will reach everyone in time.